The Bio thus far...

My photo
This blog is intended for everyday people who want to grow in their Faith with Jesus.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Ironic Twist of Ministry

I love working at a Church. Its hard, stressful, difficult, tiring, uncomfortable, but it is awesome. To work at a Church is to serve. I got the opportunity to see ministry up close my whole life due to the fact that my dad is a pastor. Going into the ministry was definetly something that I wanted to avoid because I saw how hard it was, but God had another call on my life and because of that I am now in the ministry.

Its hard to serve at a Church because very rarely do you just clock out and go home. As a Pastor you are responsible for the well-being of your flock which means that you are constantly praying for them. Studying. Reading. Making hospital visits. Counseling. Doing weddings. Funerals. You constantly have your mind on your congregation. You hurt when they hurt, you cry when they cry. You want to see people get their lives right, and you do what you can to see that happen...and when they don't you feel personally responsible for it as if it is your fault.

As a Student Pastor I am burdened to see my students going down a path that will only lead them to pain. I am get upset when I see a Student with a God-given calling on their life simply sit back and blow their talents seeking for after their own glory rather than submit to the Lord's leading. I hate seeing beautiful young ladies chase after guys that don't love Jesus. I cry when I hear about teenage suicide.

Ministers never just clock out and go home. We are always at work. We are called to love, lead, shepherd, and minister to the people around us in any way that we can. That usually means long hours, lots of stress, and burning the candle at multiple ends. We do this because God has a calling on out life, and we love it! We love leading the local body that we are called to.

The ironic thing about ministering at a church is that no matter how much a minister gives to a church, no matter what we do for a church...it always seems that the church is giving us so much more. The notes of encouragement. The prayers. The pats on the back. The help.

Just recently me and my wife had to move to a new apartment and I called one guy in my church and I had two truck loads of guys helpin me move. When the church found out that we were pregnant, we were given a crib, a changing table, clothes, gift cards, and to much other stuff to even mention.

The crazy thing is that no matter what you do at a church, people at the church want to take care of you too. I love serving Jesus in the loval church, but although I do it because I love Jesus, it seems that the people respond with love for me. Sometimes I am just overwhelmed with the way people love us just because we lead the church. Its a beautiful twist of grace that comes with the job. We are here to serve and love the church, but in the end we are the ones that are served and loved.

Sure its incredibly hard work, and sometimes you just want to give it up and find another job that is less stress but you suck it up and get your hands dirty and in the end you get a double blessing. You are obedient to what God has called you to do, and you shown love by the people that you love. Its a great deal.

Serving.
Adam Wyatt
Associate Pastor to Students -
Brair Hill Baptist Church

adamwyatt74@hotmail.com