The Bio thus far...

My photo
This blog is intended for everyday people who want to grow in their Faith with Jesus.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Worst Christian Songs of All-Time

I love Christian music...mostly. The genre has made drastic improvements over the past few years. But growing up, I remember not really liking the majority of Christiian music. So I am posting my opinions of the worst Christian Songs ever.

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I doubting the Artists passion for Jesus, or am I making fun of them as individuals...I just think that these songs are terrible.


#5. Go Light Your World. Kathy Troccoli.



Last time I checked, I was a sinner saved by Grace. My light is not important...we take Jesus to the world. In fact Jesus is the Light of the World (John 1). I understand her thought here. We should be the Light in the world, but her lyrics stress our work rather than the work of Jesus...this I have a problem with.


#4. Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life. Bobby Bare.



Now I want to give Bobby some props for the Football analogy...but no! This is terrible.


#3. Jesus is my Friend. Sonseed.

If you havent seen this one on youtube...I dont know where you have been. This would be #1 but I cant really take this song seriously enough to. It is terribly funny in all of the wrong ways. Enjoy.



"Jesus is like a Mounty...He always gets his man..."

"...Zap!"

Nothing else to say.


#2. The Champion. Carmen.



Now I understand the Theological thought behing this one. We technically are in a spiritual battle. Good and evil have been in a fight for a while. I get it...but seriously...is this the best we can come up with? Its kinda like some sort of cheesy MMA fight (although I love me some MMA) written with a script.

I just dont like the song. Jesus got beat...he bled...he died...But he did so by allowing it to happen. Jesus allowed this to happen because it was his Father's plan. Jesus death was a horrible one...but I dont like to think of Jesus as a mild, weak, man who was a wuss. Jesus was the manliest of men who suffered and died like a man...he was not beaten up by the devil...he allowed his Father's plan...he gave up us life...no one took it!
I think the real reason I dont like this song is that I had to go watch Carmen in concert with my parents when I was a kid... I just thought that it was so cheesy.


#1. Friends. Michael W. Smith.



Friends are Friends Forever...Really? A "Friend will not say Never." What does that even mean. The theology in this one is terrible. It seems that in this one, friends will live in perfect harmony til Jesus comes back. That just isnt the case, is it? Sin messes up all of our relationships...friendships especially.

Not a big fan of this one.

MWS is one of Christian Music's biggest stars and will always be...I just think that this one is one of those songs that looks at life through pink colored lenses.



I appreciate all of these artists and by no means do I intend to diminish what they do...I just really dont like these songs.